Village Council Trustee Vacancy
The Breckenridge Village Council will be accepting applications to fill a Council Trustee vacancy. This position will be an appointment for the remaining 2 years of term until the next general election in 2024.
If you are a Village resident, and are interested in serving on the Village Council, please send a letter of interest to the Village Office, c/o Clerk McPherson, P. O. Box 276, Breckenridge, MI 48615 or email to email@example.com by December 16th.
The Village of Breckenridge
The Village of Breckenridge is 1.07 square miles of land in the middle of Michigan's agricultural heartland. We are located in Wheeler Township, within Gratiot County.
The village was founded when the Pere Marquette Railroad came through the area and incorporated as a village in 1908.In 1860 Charles Howd made the first move toward conquering the wilderness where the Village of Breckenridge now stands. He claimed 240 acres in Section 30 of Wheeler Township, part of which later made up the southeast portion of the Village.
The Travers Brothers established a hoop factory in the winter of 1883-84 and operated it for several years. As the lumber was cut and the land cleared, these factories and lumber mills moved to other locations where lumber was still plentiful.
In their place came farming as a growing factor in the economic life and by 1900 the sugar beet industry had begun its growth with several factories in the area. A new interest was added to the community with the organization of the Breckenridge Auction & Sales Co. For more than a quarter of a century the livestock auction made the Village an important outlet for the stock raised in Central Michigan.